We welcome our "Q4 Share" guests who are trying out our program because they are new to homeschooling, are interested in switching to a Catholic classical approach to homeschooling, or even forced by circumstances to homeschool temporarily. Subscribe to the 8-week program today! LOG IN HERE. Once subscribed, pick a course CLICKING HERE
Join us for the AL FAMILIES GROUP ROSARY,
every Monday at NEW TIME - 8:00 PM EST.
Madonna and Child, by Luca Della Robbia
May is the month of Mary; devotion to the Blessed Mother throughout May originated in Rome in the 18th century to counter immorality and infidelity among students at a college there. It has spread through most of the Latin Church now. Because the North American holiday of Mother's Day falls in May, Catholics take this time to recall and try to emulate Mary's role as mother. Therefore devotion to Mary in the month of May focuses both on Mary as a role model for Christian mothers, and Mary's ever lasting chastity and purity, and her fidelity to God's will.
Reprinted with permission from Aquinas and More Catholic Shop
From a homeschool blogger (and friend) Jennifer Miller, here are some suggestions for Marian devotion:
- Celebration of the Word of God, imitating Mary when she pondered all these things in her heart.
- Praying the Angelus, (or Regina Coeli during the Easter season)
- Praying the Rosary - EVERY MONDAY AT 8PM EST - Join the AL Families Group Rosary
- Praying Litanies of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Total Consecration or Entrustment to Mary
- Wearing of the Brown Scapular and other Scapulars and Medals with images of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Singing the "Akathistos" Hymn to the Most Holy Mother of God (the Theotokos)
“Devotion to Our Blessed Lady in its ultimate analysis must be regarded as a practical application of the doctrine of the Communion of Saints.”
A Comprehensive History of the Devotion to Our Lady (EWTN)
Hail, holy Queen
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee to we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
REPORT AN ERROR: